Sunday, February 19, 2012

Just a Closer Walk---Brasil-style

I wanted to explore classic, American street music (aka "New Orleans-style") performed by Brazilian groups. Listening to this group, a quintet titled "SomBrass Quintet", was interesting because I felt they did a fantastic job capturing the New Orleans style brass band music from the United States.

Have a listen. (Its 2 1/2 minutes long; you can do it!!! :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssOpNiWWQCE&feature=related

This group is a notable example of a fine quintet that is capable of performing a style from another culture with impeccable accuracy. In my next post I plan to explore the idea of 'musical accents' more. In this case, I don't mean an articulation marking in the music, but I mean the overall sound of a group from one culture performing music from another culture; just like an 'accent' when someone is speaking a second language.

Enjoy this great rendition of 'Just a Closer Walk' and let me know if you heard any musical inflections that seem to hint at a 'South American' accent. :)

a paz, pedagogia amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment